Options

GSLB Proxy | Inbound NHLD

Does anyone here tried to deployed GSLB proxy mode in NHDL setup?
Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    diederikdiederik Member
    edited May 2016
    Did you have any particular issues with this?
  • Options
    eveaevea Member
    edited June 2016
    Basically we proposed NHLD deployment to load balance clients 2 ISP links for outbound traffic.

On other hand they also have internal web servers publicly accessed.
    Now client wants to use their 2 ISP links as a redundancy for their web servers and other domains.

Is GSLB applicable for this kind of setup?

Can you please share us some sample config of it?

Thanks.
  • Options
    eveaevea Member
    edited June 2016
    Attached is the sample diagram
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    In the diagram, I assume that is a single site? GSLB is to load balance servers in a different locations. In GSLB proxy mode, the ADC will re-write the outbound DNS responses (A or AAAA) with the IP for the web server at the determine active location. I do not think this is applicable to what you are doing. If you need to use GSLB, it's still not applicable to NHLD. They are completely separate functions.

For NHLD, you are load-balancing outbound traffic towards the ISP's. I do not believe this will require any special configuration for the externally reachable nameservers sitting behind the ADC's. The nameservers are sitting behind a slb virutal-server (VIP), correct? When a DNS request comes in (regardless of ISP received), will forward the request to one of the nameservers, which will respond back to through the the ADC, which will route the packet back towards the ISP form which it was received. DNS are typically short lived and I don't believe would require any persistence either, but others may have a differing option and can respond. You could use persistence if you like w/o consequence.

If the servers are sitting on the edge with public IP's, move them behind the ADC and put the public IP's on the ADC (slb VIP).

I've attached a sample NHLD.
  • Options
    eveaevea Member
    edited June 2016
    So meaning, you are saying on the inbound access we will just use a simple configuration of SLB? correct if I'm wrong.

Example.

Real server:
    WEB 192.168.10.100 - Internal Server

Service group:
    SRV_GRP tcp
    member WEB:80

Virtual Server:
    VIP1 10.10.10.100 - ISP 1 - link 1
    service-group SRV_GRP

VIP2 20.20.20.100 - ISP 2 - link 2
    service-group SRV_GRP
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    You are correct in thought but incorrect on configuration. You are concerning yourself with NHLD. That is outbound traffic. This is inbound.

It would be something like:

Real server:
    slb server WEB01 192.168.10.101
    port 80 tcp
    !
    slb server WEB02 192.168.10.102
    port 80 tcp
    !
    slb server DNS01 192.168.10.103
    port 53 tcp
    port 53 udp
    !
    slb server DNS02 192.168.10.104
    port 53 tcp
    port 53 udp
    !
    slb server ISP01 1.1.1.1
    port 0 tcp
    !
    slb server ISP02 2.2.2.2
    port 0 tcp

Service group:
    slb service-group WEB_SVR
    member WEB01 80
    member WEB01 80
    !
    slb service-group DNS_TCP
    member DNS01 53
    member DNS02 53
    !
    slb service-group DNS_UDP
    member DNS01 53
    member DNS02 53
    !
    slb service-group ISP_1_&_2
    member ISP01 0
    member ISP02 0
    !

Virtual Server:
    slb virtual-server SERVICES_VIP 10.10.10.100
    port 80
    service-group WEB_SRVR
    port 53 dns-tcp
    service-group DNS_TCP
    port 53 dns-udp
    service-group DNS_UDP
    !
    slb virtual-server ISP 0.0.0.0
    port 0 tcp
    service-group ISP_1_&_2
    port 0 udp
    service-group ISP_1_&_2
    port 0 others
    service-group ISP_1_&_2
    !

I'm typing this off top of my head. Please consult documentation for explanations and examples. Also, check out the deployment guides on teh A10 website for: DDoS Protection for Web and DNS Servers
  • Options
    eveaevea Member
    edited June 2016
    The client domain names is hosted in the cloud something like godaddy.com not hosted locally, did you already try this setup?
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    No, that is untested & provided for guidance only, but it would be extremely easy for you to setup and test...and you can load-balance the dns regardless of location of the real servers (if you need too). The ADC will forward the query to the configured real servers.
  • Options
    eveaevea Member
    edited June 2016
    Client have a two ISP provider, they want to have a redundant access in inbound traffic. their DNS server is not hosted internally, it was hosted in the cloud.
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    Ok, that's fine, remove it from what I sent. I only added as I thought initial email include dns, but it only said web. I wasn thinking dns b/c of gslb.