Options

Interfaces showing as blocked in aVCS with VRRP-a Active/Active

I've got two ACOS devices and they're configured in aVCS with VRRP-a with several VRIDs. One VRID is assigned to one of the devices and the other is assigned to the second which should mean it acts as an Active/Active system.

I was having some difficulty with OSPF and I noticed when changing the device context to unit 2 on the gui, all of the physical and virtual interfaces, as well as the Trunks, are all showing "Blocked". If I log directly in to unit 2, they are showing as up but unit 2 is not advertising the IPs with OSPF.

OSPF seems to be working fine with unit 1.

Anyone have any thoughts?

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    diederikdiederik Member
    edited June 2016
    I suppose you are running ACOS 4.x?

In that case you can only see the status of the interfaces on the unit itself.
    So if device 1 is vMaster, and you are logged in on the vMaster, you can not see the interface status of the other devices in your cluster, only device 1 interface status will be available.

Since you confirmed that the interfaces are up on the second device, you'll have to lok at other parts of the config.

When you talk about active-active... do you have multiple Partitions setup?
    And have you setup OSPF per partition?
  • Options
    jsalmansjsalmans Member
    edited June 2016
    I've not tried a separate partition yet. I was reading up on it before I left the office today but wasn't clear on if it was necessary for what I was trying to do and what the other benefits of having it would be.

Currently it is just one shared partition with OSPF configured on both devices. I've set the router-id differently on each for easy identification and the allowed networks include the two vlan ve IP addresses for that device (two vlans so two ve per device which means each device's ospf configuration has an entry for each of it's unique ve IPs).
  • Options
    diederikdiederik Member
    edited June 2016
    I'm actually not sure if it is supposed to work that way.
    It might be that you can only have one instance of OSPF active in a partition at a certain time, so maybe when you move the priority of the VRID's so that all services move to the other device, the OSPF instance of that device will become active.

I always look at partitions as a virtual device... and active-active only as an extension to make use of extra resources on other devices in the cluster. But one instance is always on control for services that are shared. OSPF within one partition can only have one active process, one RIB etc... what would happen if all VRID's move to one unit, how to combine it all together again?

But I have not tested this, so no hand-son experience with similar setup...

If you can't get it to work, open a support case :)
  • Options
    jsalmansjsalmans Member
    edited June 2016
    Got it figured out. I missed a configuration on the second unit for the trunk port going to the network equipment (stupid mistake and should have checked the status of the Port Channel on the network switch earlier). I had it configured as a static trunk where the one I had working was set up with LACP passive.

I'm currently only advertising VIPs that I have flagged and it seems to be working. Each device is only advertising the VIPs that are active on it which is dependent on the VRID they live on.

Next thing to figure out is why one of my test servers is showing a "?" instead of up unless I put it on the default VRID 0.