Options

Adding additional VLAN tags to existin interfaces

dtastic1dtastic1 Member
My current configuration is listed below. I need to add VLAN 1910 to the Ethernet interfaces of 1 and 2 so they reside in both VLANs 910 & 1910. This needs to be done with little or no disruption the exist LAG and production network. Can this new VLAN 1910 be added and combined with VLAN 910 for both Ethernet interfaces 1 and 2? And what kind of disruption can I expect, if any?

!
vlan 910
tagged ethernet 1 to 2
router-interface ve 910
!
!
interface ethernet 1
lacp trunk 1 mode active
lacp timeout short
!
interface ethernet 2
lacp trunk 1 mode active
lacp timeout short
!

Comments

• Options
    dshindshin Member
    edited April 2016
    Hi Dtastic1,

I do not see any problems with the requested configuration above. Things to consider during deploying this configuration is that you need to have a distinct subnet IP address within the "vlan router-interfaces". Same subnet address will be denied.

Good Luck!

Genard
  • Options
    dtastic1dtastic1 Member
    edited April 2016
    Unfortunately, the subnet IP shared is by both VLANs. If I have to add an additional VE IP address, I will have to re IP the hosts being moved on to the 1910 VLAN and that will not work for me. Is there a way to add the additional VLAN 1910 to 910 via bridging?

!
    vlan 910
    tagged ethernet 1 to 2
    router-interface ve 910
    !
    interface ethernet 1
    lacp trunk 1 mode active
    lacp timeout short
    !
    interface ethernet 2
    lacp trunk 1 mode active
    lacp timeout short
    !
    !
    interface ve 910 <<<VLAN 1910 needs share this address subnet
    ip address 10.10.0.7 255.255.0.0
    ip nat outside
    !
  • Options
    diederikdiederik Member
    edited April 2016
    You night want to check the manuals...

Search for VLAN Bridging and you will find something like this:

bridge-vlan-group
    Configure a bridge VLAN group for VLAN-to-VLAN bridging.

It will have impact as you need to remove the VE and create a new VE after you have created the vlan bridge group.

But if you have redundant devices, break VCS, use VRRP to have one side active only... change the VLAN/Ethernet config on the other... enable VRRP and have the "updated" device take over the service, then you can safely alter the last devices config as well... and later bring back VCS.
    (watch out for loops on your network)

If you want to test it out before, install 2 vThunders and test it on there.