Options

Max number of GSLB zones on AX1000

Posted by kirbini

We have a client who would like to globally load balance more than 500 different domains. Is there a maximum number of GSLB zones that the AX1000 can handle?

On a related note, does anyone have any advice on easily importing and/or consolidating 500 GSLB setups? Does GSLB have any wildcard options like SLB?

Comments

• Options
    dshindshin Member
    edited February 2014
    Posted by ggarcia

Thanks for posting your questions to the VADC Community.
    The AX1000/AX1000-11 can support up to 2,000 zones.

For the other questions, please clarify as to what you mean by “500 GSLB setup”. We do have GSLB wildcard support but you need to clarify as to what you are trying to do so I can provide a concise response.
  • Options
    kirbinikirbini Member
    edited February 2014
    Posted by kirbini

by setups I'm referring to the service ip, zone and adding the service IP line to the site config. I know how to wildcard individual zones. Since these 500+ GSLB zones will point to the same real server I was wondering if there was a way to set that up with out having to put in a single Site_IP/Zone config instead of configs for every one of the domains.
  • Options
    dshindshin Member
    edited February 2014
    Posted by ggarcia

Thanks for clarifying.

The import gslb zone feature that you inquired is not available but it will be available in the next release.

The AX can support wildcard service and its available from 2.4.x and wildcard zone support will be available in the release as well. You can configure wildcard service under the zone and here is an example:

AX(config)#gslb zone com
    AX(config-gslb zone)#service *
    AX(config-gslb service)#dns-a-record vip-name static

The above example serves any .com domain and any service.

We currently don't support generic wildcard zone to match all domain names yet, so if you have ".com", ".net" and ".org", you have to configure three zones.
  • Options
    kirbinikirbini Member
    edited February 2014
    Posted by kirbini

Hrmm, very interesting. Is the zone selection then similar to some route protocols in that the more specific match is preferred over the less specific match? That is, if I have the config
    ----
    gslb zone com
    service *
    dns-a-record <service-ip-1> static

gslb zone mydomain.com
    service *
    dns-a-record <service-ip-2> static
    ----

and a request comes in for www.mydomain.com, which zone will be used to select a service-ip?
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    Posted by ddesmidt

Yes, AX GSLB will always pick up the most specific one (the order of the GSLB zones in the configuration is irrelevant).

So in your example, www.domain.com will be resolved with the service-ip-2.

Dimitri