Options

MS APP-V

Hi,
Is anyone using A10's to load balance MS App-V streaming servers? I am struggling to find any documentation so was hoping someone may have already done this and could share their experience.

Cheers

Darren

Comments

• Options
    edited May 2014
    Hi,

We tried to gather more information on MS App-V but unfortunately did not get much response. Can you share an update or the use case you are working on.

thanks
    prashanth
  • Options
    dshindshin Member
    edited May 2014
    Hi Darren,

We do not have a lot exposure on Microsoft App-V/Virtualization but we are willing to work with your team to set up a test bed. The App-V application is also known as the Microsoft Application Visualization and its a Microsoft acquisition from a company called Softricity. The App-V software is available on MSDN but to get started I need the version of App-V that you want to get tested. MSDN has posted a 4.6 and 5.0 SP2 (latest) versions. Looking forward to working with you.

Genard
  • Options
    DazTDazT Member
    edited June 2014
    Hi,
    Thanks for the responses. I have now spent a faire bit of time on this and it's just about working. We are currently using App-V 4.6 and look to migrate to V5 in the near future. I think my main issue at the moment is with session persistence. I need to know if it's possible for persistence across multiple service groups. Below are the steps I have taken so far:

Created separate service groups for port 554, 445,139, 0 and added the same physical servers to each. Removed health monitor from port 0 service group otherwise it will show as down. Without port 0 the virtual apps will not launch. I believe there are some dynamic ports used for application launch.

For the VIP I have added all the above ports and applied an IP persistence template to each port.

On the App-V streaming servers I have done the following:
    Added an MS loopback adapter which has the IP address of the A10 VIP.
    Run the following netsh commands:
    netsh interface ipv4 set interface "Local Area Connection" weakhostreceive=enabled
    netsh interface ipv4 set interface "MS Loopback" weakhostreceive=enabled
    netsh interface ipv4 set interface "MS Loopback" weakhostsend=enabled

On each server run the following:
    setspn -A SoftGrid/Name.domain.x domain\service-account
    setspn -A SoftGrid/Name.domain.x domain\service-account
    setspn -A SoftGrid/Name domain\service-account
    setspn -A SoftGrid/Name domain\service-account

name is the hostname that you will add as the publishing server with the app-v client.

Now here are the issues:

If both servers are active application refresh works but application launch can be hit or miss. If I disable one of the two servers then application refresh and launch work fine.