Options

ICMP6 Type 2 (packet too big) messages ignored?

kirbinikirbini Member
Posted by kirbini

I've been told, and and am trying to confirm (here and through testing) that the AX series (all of them) do not honor IPv6 ICMP Type 2 messages. These messages indicate that fragmentation is needed but when we use the AX1000 as an IPv6 VIP in front of an IPv4 server group the AX does not properly fragment the packets. IPv4 traffic does not seem to have the same limitation.

This is a problem with IPv6 clients on PPPoE (lower than 1500 byte MTU by definition) and some DSL customers. First, can someone confirm that the AX1000 also suffers from this problem? Second, is there a fix in the works? Third, is there a workaround in the meantime?

The person who pointed this out to me says his company uses AX5100s and has been waiting for a fix for some time. With World IPv6 Day two weeks away this could be a big unnecessary problem for AX users, including us.

Comments

• Options
    pnicholsonpnicholson Member, Administrator admin
    edited February 2014
    Posted by pnicholson

Hi Kirbini,

With this request can you file a support ticket? As that will be the quickest way to get the information escalated to the right internal channels and get the quickest resolution if an issue is found, plus I believe they will request additional information.

Phone (Quickest): USA and Canada: +1-888-TACS-A10 (+1-888-822-7210)
    eMail: www.a10networks.com/support/index.php

Alternatively I can file a ticket if you send me your information (contact and customer name) privately.

Thanks,

Paul.
  • Options
    kirbinikirbini Member
    edited February 2014

Posted by kirbini

I have contacted support. They have confirmed the bug but have not yet offered an ETA. My purpose of posting here is to raise the visibility of this unpublished (not even in the release notes) but known bug. I was only made aware of the problem by another AX user when I posted about using them as SLB-PT gateways on the IPv6 Ops mailing list. The fact that this bug has gone unrepaired for at least 6 months is pretty bad but the fact that A10 advertises itself as an IPv6 solution provider without publishing this known bug is simply stunning.

This is not an insignificant bug and a lot of AX users are going to spend a lot of unnecessary time trying to work out why some clients can't see their website on World IPv6 Day in 1.5 weeks when A10 could easily publish the bug or actively warn its customer base.

• Options
    edited February 2014
    Posted by pnicholson

Hi Kirbini,

Support and engineering are working on an ETA for you.

I can tell you it has been flagged as urgent, and is being addressed by engineering (based on internal communication yesterday and today).

You will receive a further update to your ticket today from support, sorry for any delay or inconvenience.

Paul.
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    Posted by pnicholson

As a follow-up to this issue I'm adding a post I posted to another forum:

Just a quick note for those looking for this update, both the update and release notes can be downloaded from these links:

2.6.1-sp2 Upgrade and release notes for <select for your model>: www.a10networks.com/support-axseries/downloads/downloads.php

If any customers have any queries please contact support on the standard number 24/7: USA and Canada: +1-888-TACS-A10 (+1-888-822-7210) or
    International: +1-408-325-8676.

Also thanks to Jim and others for all the information they provided to our support team last week, and those who confirmed it fixed the issue today.

Paul.