Options

Vthunder - Vmware failover vThunder to standby

jferrjferr Member
edited August 2023 in ADC - Application Delivery

Need to failover A10 to standby node so we can do some maintenance. I don't want to vmotion the vthunder VM's as it triggers a failover and we don't want our site access to go down. How can I do a failover in the GUI? seems like this should be fairly simple but when on active vmaster changing vrid blade parameter to a lower priority and hitting update, it does not failover to the secondary/standby vthunder. What am I missing? I lose ping to VIPS when I do this and it doesnt seem to failover. I set it back and update and it resumes itself and starts working.

Just realized this is in wrong section. Not sure how to move it.

Tagged:

Answers

• Options
    mdunnmdunn Member ✭✭

You may wish to confirm the networking configuration is like-for-like between the units, both on the devices as well as upstream. It sounds like the failover is happening, but the secondary unit has traffic flow or process issues.

Changing the priority will trigger a failover as long as "preempt" is enabled. You can also use the "Forced Self Standby" option. One thing to keep in mind is that the VCS Master/Slave State is completely separate from the VRRP Active/Standby state. VCS is a management overlay, and VRRP handles data plane traffic processing. Here are some reference steps for both:

For the VRRP failover:

You can use the command “vrrp-a force-self-standby vrid <> <enable/disable>” to force this active device to be the standby device.

From GUI,

Going to the Setting-> Vrrp-a, there have an option “force self standby”.

For the VCS failover:

You can use the command ”vcs vmaster-take-over <vMaster take over priority> ” on a vBlade device to force a vBlade to take over the vMaster device.