Options

SMTP STARTTLS offload

rmgrmg Member
I set up SMTP STARTTLS offload when I started loadbalancing Exchange 2010 a couple of years ago, and I could swear it worked when I tested it then. Recently we've gotten reports that it doesn't work, and testing with 'openssl s_client -connect webmail:587 -starttls smtp' shows the certificate chain and seems to get through the handshake, but as soon as I send any SMTP command other than QUIT I get this error:

924:error:1408F10B:SSL routines:SSL3_GET_RECORD:wrong version number:/SourceCache/OpenSSL098/OpenSSL098-35.1/src/ssl/s3_pkt.c:293:

I'm using an AX2500 running 2.4.3-p12 (also checked on 2.4.3-p9, same error). The SMTP template has 'starttls optional', and the service does work just fine if I don't do STARTTLS (e.g., plain telnet to port 587).

Has anyone else gotten this to work, seen the same error, or have any other suggestions? Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    rmgrmg Member
    edited February 2014
    It looks like it does work if I add the '-crlf' flag to my openssl command, but there's no equivalent flag I can set in a client like Thunderbird. Thunderbird users are getting a 'connection was lost in the middle of the transaction' error when using STARTTLS.