Options

what is a Partition in A10 ??

hashimhashim Member
Hi,

I am new to A10,

I would like to know if a Partition is a virtual routing concept (like VRF), or a virtual context, where data plane, control plane, and management plane are segregated

thanks,
Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    ericnericn Member
    edited August 2018
    Application Delivery Partitions (ADP) are covered in the System Administration training. I would suggest that you take that class.

To my mind, they are more similar to Linux Containers than to VRF or VMs. By in large, each partition is an independent entity, but some information can be shared from the shared partition into ADPs. It gets a little complicated, but one can use them in a VRF kind of way. The main purpose, however, is to encapsulate and segment configuration and networking in order to meet a variety of use cases.

--- --- ---
    Eric N.
    Sr. Professional Services Engineer and Technical Instructor
    http://www.a10networks.com/resources/training
  • Options
    hashimhashim Member
    edited August 2018
    thank you for your response,

I will keep this training in my note, I have contacted the support team for it.

one more question on this,
    can an interface be member in two partitions ?
  • Options
    ericnericn Member
    edited August 2018
    The short answer it yes, but there are specifics.

The term "partition" has been, over the past 9 years, overloaded. So the answer depends on what ACOS version you are using as well as the end goal/result you are trying to achieve.

My sympathies that the question isn't a Yes/No, but sometimes that's how reality is.
  • Options
    pgamarrapgamarra Member

I'm dealing with a TH1030S 4.1.1-P2 build 141 where I don't see the 10G Ethernet 9 interface listed under "Create new VLAN" in a new partition I just created. Ethernet 9 is being used for other VLANs in another existing partition so I'm wondering if the issue I'm seeing is due to the ACOS version I'm running or something else. Any good info would be greatly appreciated.

• Options
    mdunnmdunn Member ✭✭

Hello - in that instance, it sounds like the interface is solely owned by an existing partition. A couple reasons come to mind as to why:

1. The interface has an untagged vlan within a partition
    2. Within another partition, you have executed the "interface ethernet #" command, which gives the partition sole ownership

From the shared partition, you can run "show partition port-ownership" which should indicate whether a partition has sole ownership:

ssli-hc-1#sh partition port-ownership
    Port 1 belongs solely to Network Partition ssli_in
    Port 2 belongs solely to Network Partition ssli_in
    Port 3 belongs solely to Network Partition ssli_out
    Port 4 belongs solely to Network Partition ssli_out